The Swanlake Inn

About Us

Located at the heart of the beautiful Pembrokeshire Countryside in Jameston. The Swanlake Inn is a family friendly pub that prides itself on its warm atmosphere, homecooked food and real ales.

Discover

Our History

Jameston, a small farming village within the parish of Manorbier, once boasted a lively fair on St. James day. This fair, held on Jameston green, always attracted large crowds, who danced to music of travelling fiddle-players and generally made merry – it is said that every cottage in the village became an unofficial ale-house for the day.

George Robinson ran a pub called the New Inn in Manorbier parish between 1810 and 1828; this was probably in Jameston. Ann Buckney certainly kept the New Inn, Jameston, in 1841 and when she died in 1850 the licence passed to her nephew Evan Thomas, despite grumbles from one magistrate that ‘an ale-house is a great evil in a parish’. By 1861 George Llewellin was the innkeeper and he also farmed the land which went with the pub.

In 1863 the railway from Tenby to Pembroke was built, passing near Jameston with a halt at beaver’s hill. The name New Inn no longer appears in the records after this date; instead we find the Railway Inn, so-called even though it was in the middle of the village and a long way from that halt. Local grocer John Shears kept the pub in 1867 and in 1871 it was kept by William Williams and his wife Martha. A mariner from Bristol named Thomas Nicholas ran the pub in 1881, while in 1889 the licence passed to Henry Meyrick who was still the licensee in 1914. James Davies was the landlord in 1923 and Arthur Gay was there in 1931. Harold Williams, who took over in 1934, changed the name of the pub not once, but twice. He first changed it to the Ship – an even less appropriate name than the Railway – before rechristening it the Swan Lake, in April 1935, less than a year later.

Although the Lamphey to Lydstep road once passed the front door of the pub, it was later re-routed to pass behind it, thus causing some confusion. A visitor to Jameston in 1935 wrote as follows:

“There is one pub, but no-one strange to the place would think there was a pub in the village. It did business for many years under the sign of ‘Railway Inn’ although the railway is a league or so away. Why the tavern has its rear abutting the road I can’t say. Maybe the designer considered the bulk of customers would come over the fields…”

Pembroke building contractor George Argent and his wife Gwenllian came into possession of the pub in 1940 and they ran it for several years with the help of various managers. When they moved to Tenby in the mid-1950s, Mr. and Mrs. Larry Loughlin moved in as tenants. The Swan Lake was extensively altered in the late 1960s by new owner Ted Klein who opened up two large lounges (one had been a cowshed at one time) and also turned the semi-private parlour into a public bar. The Swan Lake has been run by the Gill family for the past 14 years.

By Keith Johnson (The Pubs of Pembroke, Pembroke Dock, Tenby & South Pembrokeshire) The Gill family still own The Swanlake Inn but it has been leased out and managed by Gary & Lorraine Hopley from 1st june 2015 to the present day.

Take a visit

How to find us

The Swanlake Inn is located in Jameston on the A4139 Tenby to Pembroke Road. Our Post Code is SA70 8QE.